Although we’ve traveled extensively across the USA, we haven’t spent much time in the state of Georgia (besides visiting Savannah multiple times), but from what we experienced recently in the North Georgia Mountains, we’ll be back for more!
Even though we grew up by the beach, we love escaping to the mountains and being amongst the forest, and some of our favorite activities are hiking, river tubing, horseback riding, sitting around a fire pit, and anything lake related.
We spent three nights at each of the Georgia destinations listed below, and all three of them are within a two-hour drive of each other so if you are visiting from North Carolina like us, you can easily combine them and make this a one-week trip!
However, if you are coming from nearby Atlanta or Asheville, you can easily make individual trips to each property.
Two of the properties are in amazing Georgia State Parks. One property (Brasstown) is not located within a state park, but is on state-owned land. All are managed by Coral Hospitality. And what we loved is that all three have excellent accommodation options from lodges to cabins to campgrounds!
North Georgia Mountains
We have secured a great discount deal for these Georgia State Properties just for our readers
Save 40% on overnight stays through June 30, 2023, and receive Breakfast for 2 the next morning (first night only). Use Promo Code 40MP to book online if prompted.
Offer based on double occupancy and availability. Blackout dates may apply. The discount is only available for stays through June 30, 2023. Breakfast for 2 is first night only. Food credit holds no monetary value and cannot be cashed in or applied outside the onsite restaurants. Not applicable for OTA’s, groups or reservations of 5 or more rooms per night. No other discounts apply. Applicable fees and taxes not included.
Click the links below to book the relevant property and don’t forget that code 40MP
Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
If you’re looking for North Georgia mountain resorts that offer the perfect combination of relaxation and adventure, we loved our three-day stay at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa.
Whilst you may think a resort centered around a golf course and a spa is the place for romantic getaways or golfing trips, our kids were kept well entertained with all the activities on offer within the resort and close by.
This 503-acre property has something for every member of your family, whether you’re looking for relaxation, outdoor adventure, or fine dining – all interests are covered.
- Spa treatments
- Golf lesson and a round of golf
- Relax in the indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs
- Horseback riding at the Stables at Brasstown Valley
- Boating on Lake Chatuge
- Hike a section of the 9.2 miles of wilderness trails
- Wine tasting at Crane Creek Vineyards
- Brasstown Bald, the tallest mountain in Georgia
Drive time to Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
- Raleigh: 6.5 hours (355 miles)
- Atlanta: 2 hrs, 30 mins (105 miles)
- Charlotte: 4 hrs, 20 mins (226 miles)
- Asheville: 2 hrs, 10 mins (111 miles)
Unicoi State Park & Lodge
Unicoi State Park and Lodge, one of the most popular state parks in Georgia, is located two miles from the Alpine village of Helen, one of the most visited towns in North Georgia.
Known as one of Georgia’s Adventure Lodges, this park has plenty of adventurous activities for those that like to play in the great outdoors, with a nice balance of relaxation as well.
This 1,050-acre state park is centered around beautiful Lake Unicoi within the Chattahoochee National Forest. And the cool thing we loved was staying in a barrel shaped cabin, with lake views from our deck. So if you’re looking for cool North Georgia mountain cabin rentals, your kids will love these!
- See the spectacular Anna Ruby Falls
- Go zip lining across the lake (75 to 2,000 feet long)
- Kayak or paddle board on Lake Unicoi
- Go fly fishing
- Do the 2.5 mile loop walk around Lake Unicoi
- Archery & Air Gun Range
- Stay in a barrel shaped cabin (there’s also the lodge and a campground)
Drive time to Unicoi State Park & Lodge
- Raleigh: 5 hrs, 45 mins (362 miles)
- Atlanta: 1 hr, 40 mins (89 miles)
- Charlotte: 3 hrs, 45 mins (201 miles)
- Asheville: 2 hrs, 20 mins (119 miles)
Amicalola Falls State Park
Located just over an hour north of Atlanta and within Chattahoochee National Forest (and between Ellijay and Dahlonega in Dawsonville), Amicalola Falls State Park has plenty to offer the whole family.
Our cabin in the forest came with a fireplace, huge deck, and a fire pit, and in over three days at this state park we enjoyed adventurous activities by the day, then relaxing by the fire at night.
Amicalola Falls is known as an adventure park, highlighted by the 2,400-ft long zip line, the hike to the top of the highest waterfall in Georgia, and the fact that the 8-mile approach trail that leads to the base of Springer Mountain – the official beginning of the Appalachian Trail – starts here!
Besides all the fun you can have within the park, nearby are a few farms and wineries in the surrounding Dawson County region of the North Georgia Mountains.
- Hike from the bottom to the top of Amicalola Falls
- Take on the 2,400-ft long zip line
- 3D archery course
- Tomahawk throwing
- Met and greet wildlife demonstrations
- Hike part of the Appalachian Trail
- Watch sunset from Amicalola Falls Lodge
- Stay in a cabin (there’s also the lodge and campground)
Drive time to Amicalola Falls State Park:
- Raleigh: 6 hrs, 30 mins (404 miles)
- Atlanta: 1 hr, 20 mins (74 miles)
- Charlotte: 4 hrs, 30 mins (242 miles)
- Asheville: 3 hrs, 10 mins (171 miles)
There you have it. Three awesome places to put on your Northern Georgia travel list, with each destination offering plenty of fun things to do in the North Georgia mountains.
Be sure to read our full-guides to each destination. And let us know in the comments section below if you have any questions, or tips of your own for the North GA mountains?